YELLOWHEAD SPEEDWAY- HOBBY STOCK
1. SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Rules apply at all times car is on track. Full face SA2010 or newer helmet required. No DOT or M-rate helmets allowed. Roll bar padding required in driver compartment. Recommended: Fire retardant padding. SFI-approved 2 layer full fire suit required. Fire retardant gloves, shoes, head and neck restraint required. Right and left seat head supports required if using head and neck restraint system. Recommended: Fire retardant head sock and underwear, collapsible steering shaft. Driver-side window net required, minimum 16 inch by 20 inch ribbon or mesh style, and must be mounted to roll cage so latch is at top front of window. Minimum three inch (two inch with head restraint system) wide. SFI-approved five point safety belt assembly required, must be mounted securely to main roll cage and in good condition, no tears, frays or other damages. Recommended: Safety belts no more than two years old. Kill switch required within easy reach of driver and must be clearly marked ‘OFF’ and ‘ON’. Must have fire extinguisher 2lbs mounted securely in easy reach of driver.
Participants under 16 years of age and under must wear a head and neck restraint, not a foam ring. Both parents of under 16 year old drivers must sign parental consent waiver. No exceptions.
2. FRAME: Any American OEM full body rear wheel drive passenger car, 1964 or newer, full frame or unibody. Frame must match body. Minimum 107.5 inch wheelbase, maximum one inch difference from side to side. Rear of frame behind rear tire, no further forward than one inch behind factory seam, may be replaced in OEM location with two inch by three inch steel tubing with minimum 0.095 inch wall thickness, same length as material removed. Factory seam must remain visible. Unibody must tie frame to front frames. Frames may be ‘x’ braced.
Exception: any existing club cameros, firebirds or mustangs may be run until “USED UP”.Cars must meet all rules except above exemption. Any new cars must meet rules package.
3. ROLL CAGE: Main cage must consist of continuous hoops, minimum 1.75 inch O.D. tubing, with a minimum wall thickness of 0.095 inch, low carbon or mild steel recommended. Four-post roll cage required, front down bars and rear hoop must be welded to OEM frame. Driver’s head must not protrude outside cage with helmet on. Rear hoop must have “X” brace, consisting of one full horizontal and one full diagonal bar, minimum 1.25 inch O.D. with 0.083 inch wall thickness. Front down bars must be tied together, passenger side front down bars must be maximum 11 inches in from top of door. Must be minimum 40 inches between outside edge of front and rear down bars at top of door panel. Maximum 41 inches top center of windshield to front edge of rear hoop; maximum 13 inches to front edge of front halo. Top halo must be 40 inchrs across, outside to outside. Rear hoop may be maximum 12 inches in from bottom of opera window. Minimum one cross bar in top halo. May have maximum two horizontal bars, (in addition to bar tying front frame horns together), for radiator protection; must be behind bumper within confines of body, no wider than OEM frame horns. Rear kicker (down bars) and engine hoop required, must be minimum 1.25 inches O.D. tubing with 0.083 wall thickness. Fuel cell protection required, must be mounted frame rail to frame rail, no higher than fuel cell, inside trunk area with maximum 1.75 inches O.D. tubing. All bars must be inside body.
4. DOOR BARS: All door bars and uprights must be minimum 1.75 inch O.D. with 0.095 inch wall thickness. Minimum three door bars, both sides, parallel to ground, and perpendicular to driver. Minimum four uprights tied from frame to top door bar on driver side, and minimum three uprights on passenger side. Steel door plates, 18 gauge or 0.049 inch minimum thickness, must be securely welded to outside of door bars on driver’s side. Plate must cover area from top door bar to frame and from rear down post to five inches in front of seat. Must be visible for inspection.
5. BODY: All bodies must be unaltered OEM, or OEM location and match frame. Front body mounts must be visible. Sunroofs and T-tops must be enclosed. Aftermarket appearance allowed. OEM STEEL hood only, maximum three inch bow, hood may be gutted. OEM STEEL unaltered trunk lid only no gutting. Hood and trunk must be securely fastened and back of hood must be sealed off from driver compartment with metal. Hood must be separate from fenders Front inner wheel wells may be removed, rear wheel wells may be removed to middle seam. Trunk floor directly over rear end housing must be removed. Trunk floor may be replaced, frame rail to frame rail, with 0.049 inch thick steel, must be located on top of frame rail. Overlapping body panels permitted. All glass must be removed, all windows in body must remain open; maximum seven inch metal sun visor allowed across top of wind shield opening. All doors must be securlely fastened. Fenders and quarter panel must be trimmed for tire clearance, only. No reflective body panels. Cr number must be minimum4 inches thick and 20 inches tall and clearly visible on both sides and roof of car; six inches tall on rear and front if possible.
6. DRIVER COMPARTMENT: Minimum of three windshield bars in front of driver. Aluminum high-back seat only, must be bolted in using minimum 0.375 inch bolts. Driver seat may be no further back than rear edge of B-pillar. Driver must be sealed off from track, driveline, engine and fuel cell. Dash must not extend more than 24 inches back from center of lower windshield opening. Dash must be flat, rear can be no higher than front, except for cowl in front of driver. No other interior tin or covers. Inside rear quarter panels. Below window level, may be cut out. Doors and driver side B-pillar may be gutted. No cutting out of firewalls, roof, kick panels, rocker panels, except for roll cage clearance. All holes in firewalls and floor must be covered with metal. OEM floor may be replaced from OEM front firewall to OEM rear firewall using steel fabricated floor plan, 18 gauge or minimum 0.049 inch thickness, securely welded to frame. Must remain flat, OEM appearing from frame rail to frame rail, no high or lower than frame rail. Exception is maximum eight inch tall driveshaft tunnel similar to OEM tunnel in size. Rear firewall and speaker deck must be metal and be of OEM design for that make and model. Rearview mirror must be inside of car.
7. FRONT SUSPENSION: All components and mounts must be steel, unaltered OEM, in OEM location and match frame. OEM rubber, A-frame bushings only. OEM or OEM replacement ball joints allowed. No rebuildable ball joints. No sway bars, spring spacers, chains or cables. Exceptions are for: 1978 – 1987 GM mid-sized metric frame, OEM upper A-frame may be replaced using after-market A-frame (steel or aluminum cross shaft allowed), . Upper A-frame mount must remain OEM and cannot be moved. No suspension stops of any kind allowed.
8. STEERING: All components must be steel, unaltered OEM, in OEM location and match frame. Exceptions are: replacement spindle with Speedway Motors raised cast – part #91034501-L and #91034501-R; bolt on spindle savers allowed, OEM steering column may be replaced with steel knuckles and steel steering shafts (collapsible recommended). No steering quickeners (minimum 2.5 turns lock to lock), or remote power steering reservoirs. Steering wheel and quick release (required) may be aluminum.
9 SHOCKS: One unaltered steel, nonadjustable, OEM-mount shock in OEM location, per wheel. All shocks must completely collapse at any time. No external or internal bumpers or stops. No bulb-type, threaded body, coil over, air, or remote reservoir shocks. Maximum 2.125 inch O.D. shock body. No gas port, Schrader or bladder type valve allowed. No coil over eliminators. Rear OEm shock location is 4.5 inches from bottom of housing to center of bolt hole, and centered on control arm bracket.
10. SPRINGS: One steel spring per wheel only in OEM location. Minimum 4.5 inches O.D. maximum 14 inch free height, non-progressive coil springs only. No springer rubbers allowed.
11. REAR SUSPENSION: All components and mounts must be steel, unaltered OEM or OEM replacement, in OEM location, and match frame. OEM rubber control arm bushings only. Center of rear lower control arm bolt hole must be 2.25 to 2.5 inches from bottom of housing. No independent rear suspension. No sway bars, panhard bars, spring spacers, extensions, chains, or cables. No suspension stops of any kind allowed.
12. REAR END: No floater rear ends. OEM, or OEM replacement (recommended) solid steel axles only. Nine inch Ford rear end allowed, but must be mounted like OEM rear end (centered) for that make and model. 3/4 inch inspection hole in housing required. Ring gear, center section and yoke cannot be lightened. Steel or aluminm U-joint caps allowed. Must be welded spider gears, or mini spool. No torque dividing mini spools or differentials.
13. BUMPERS/RUB RAILS: Maximum one inch wide by two inch tall steel or lexan rub rails allowed - bolted flush to body. Front and rear tow chains mandatory and easily accessable. No sharp edges allowed on bumpers, rub rails or bolts. No bars past outside edge of body other than rub rails. All front bumpers must be mounted minimum six inches from front frame horns. Steel bumper mounts only. One of two bumper options must be used and must be OEM height: OEM: Bumpers not covered by plastic nose or tailpiece must be complete, unaltered OEM, capped to fender with steel, welded or bolted. Aftermarket:Fabricated tubular bumpers (front and rear) allowed, but must be covered by plastic nose or tailpiece and bent to fit with rounded ends. Main bumper bar must be minimum 1.5 inch O.D. (maximum two inch) with 0.083 inch (maximum 0.125 inch) wall thickness. Rear bumper must be minimum 1.75 inch O.D. with 0.120 inch wall thickness.
14. TIRES/WHEELS: Unaltered OEM tires 205 up to 235 tires. No wider than 70 series, 14 or 15 inch passenger car tires only. Stagger is allowed. Tires must be inside body. No racing, snow or all-terrain tires. No softening conditioning, siping/grinding or grooving. Must weigh minimum of 21 pounds. No wheel spacers. One inch O.D. steel lug nuts required. No bleeder valves.
15. BRAKES: Steel, unaltered OEM, or unaltered OEM replacement, operative four wheel, drum or disc allowed. Front components must match frame and maintain minimum OEM dimensions for hubs/rotors and calipers, cannot be lightened. OEM or OEM appearing master cylinder must be in OEM location. No antilock brake systems. No aftermarket brake pedal assemblies, brake shut-off or bias adjuster. Steel brake lines only, must be visible. No oil bath front hubs. Hubs/rotors, axle flanges and drums must be changed to different bolt pattern and larger studs.
16. EXHAUST: OEM cast iron exhaust manifold only. No center dump type manifolds. Exhaust manifold can be ported and drilled to fit. No adapter allowed between manifold and head. Crate engine must use maximum two inch O.D. exhaust pipes. Claim engine may use maximum 2.5 inch O.D. exhaust pipes. Exhaust must extend past firewall and turn toward ground. Must remain dual exhaust, no crossover or “y” pipes. No pan evac systems, exhaust sensors, coatings or wrap. Must exit behind the rear main hoop of the driver. Mufflers recommended.
17. FUEL SYSTEM: Racing fuel cell required, maximum 22 gallon (12 gallon recommended), must be in minimum 20 gauge steel container. Must be securely fastened in trunk above top of rear frame rails, behind rear tires, no further forward than factory seam where rear frame rail can be replaced, with
minimum two solid steel straps around entire cell, two inches wide and 0.125 inch thick. No fuel cells allowed over rear end housing. Metal firewall must be between driver and fuel cell. All cell mounts must be steel, securely welded to frame/cage. Fuel cell vents, including cap vent, must have check valves. If fuel cell does not have aircraft style positive seal filler neck/cap system - a flapper, spring or ball type filler rollover valve is required. Fuel lines through driver
compartment must run through metal pipe or metal conduit. One fuel filter only, cannot be in driver’s compartment. No cool cans. No top flow air cleaner housings, cold air boxes or air cleaner duct work. Carburetor (see engine options): Unlimited cubic inch engines must use an unaltered 350 c.f.m Holley with no modifications which may be modified to meet the specs. Limited cubic inch engine must use unaltered 500 c.f.m Holley. except: booster I.D. may be machined to0.25 inch, venture I.D. machined to 1.375 inch and throttle bore I.D. machined to 1.6875 in on Rochester carburetor. Must remove carburetor choke plate. No carburetor spacers on cast iron intake. One 0.25 inch (maximum) thickness gasket only on cast iron intake. Speedway motors carburetor adapter, part #135-3502G, aluminum intakes. GM Crate Engines: must use same Rochester carburetor and Speedway Motor carburetor adapter, part#135-3502G as claim engine. Maximum of two 0.100 inch thick carburetor gaskets only
18. FUEL: Gasoline only. Racing fuel allowed. No E85. No performance enhancing or scented additives. Fuel must pass both dielectric meter and chemical tests.
19. WEIGHT: No ballasts allowed. Any item deemed as a ballast will be required to be replaced- i.e. fuel cell strapes, fuel cell cans, battery boxes, etc. No titanium, magnesium or carbon fiber products. No gun-drilled, tubular, hollow bolts or studs. Steel fasteners only.
20. BATTERY/STARTER: One 12 volt battery only, must be securely mounted between and above frame rails, and positive terminal must be covered. Battery must be in Marine type case if mounted in driver compartment. Starter must bolt in OEM location. Car must have capability of starting without being pushed or pulled. Car must leave initial staging area on demand, unaided, or go to rear of that race.
21. GAUGES/ELECTRONICS: At the drescretion of the race day officials: cameras, transmitting or listening devices (exception is one-way Race Receiver radio by officials), timing retard controls, or digital gauges (including tach). 12 volt ignition system and OEM HEI distributor only. Ford/Chrysler may use HEI distributor. No billet distributor or crank triggers. Ignition rotor, cap, coil, and module must remain OEM- appearing. Crate engines MUST use MSD #8728 or#8727CT rev-control with any rpm chip. Claim engine MAY use MSD #8728 rev-control with ant rpm chip. Rev- control must be mounted under hood on engine firewall and accessible for inspection with rev limiter facing upward. No ignition boxes. All wiring must be visible for inspection. OEM type alternator with internal regulator allowed. No electronic traction control devices.
22. TRANSMISSION/DRIVE SHAFT: All forward and reverse gears must be operational. Manual: Must be unaltered OEM three or four speed, with minimum 10.5 inch steel/organic single disc-type clutch and steel pressure plate assembly inside am explosion-proof steel bellhousing – minimum 270 degrees around top of clutch and flywheel area. No lightweight bellhousings. Hydraulic clutch release bearing allowed. Steel unaltered flywheel only – 16 pound minimum. Automatic: Must be unaltered OEM, with OEM pump, original bellhousing and minimum 10 inch diameter torque converter containing minimum og three quarts of fluid. Torque converter must have a minimum 0.125 inch by three inch steel, 270 degrees around flexplate. Flexplate must be full, unaltered OEM, or OEM replacement. No bump starts allowed. Drive Shaft: Steel drive shaft minimum 2.5 inch diameter and slip-yokes only. Drive shaft must be painted white. 360-degree drive shaft loop required and must be constructed of minimum 0.25 inch by two inch solid steel, or one inch tubing, mounted six inches back from front U-joint.
23. ENGINE COMPARTMENT: Engine must be OEM location. On Gm metric frame, center of fuel pump must be located minimum1.75 inches in front of cross member (measured at frame). Ford metric frames must have back of fuel pump in front cross member. Frame and cross member may not be altered for placement. Engine mount holes cannot be removed or altered on block. Aftermarket steel engine mounts allowed. No mid –plate allowed. Engines must be OEM appearing, must be able to be used in conventional passenger car without alteration. GM with GM, Ford with Ford, Chrysler with Chrysler. Minimum two-core radiator, must be mounted in front of engine. Overflow tubes must be directed to ground. (2) Steel or aluminum V-belt pulleys only. No electric fans. Or surge tanks.
24. ENGINE OPTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS: All cars utilizing a GM 602 crate engine must clearly display on both front roof posts the word ”crate” must contrasting in color from body minimum 2” tall. Markers not acceptable.
a. Crate Engine: Must use unaltered sealed GM #88958602 or #19258602 crate engine. Upon inspection, any different, altered or missing GM seal bolts will result in a loss of points for the day. GM seal bolt exception is IMCA approved and issued Cable-Loc repair system, and oil pan may be replaced by GM certified repair center with Kevko pan #1080NRHw/ISP and Kevko pick-up#1003-1 3/4. Any engine with altered or unapproved parts will result in a loss of points for the day. Any driver using crate engine cannot claim engine or have engine claimed.
b. Claim Engine: Any American make engine allowed. Block: OEM steel passenger vehicle production block only. No GM bowtie, Ford SVO or Chrysler W components allowed. Gm approved blocks numbers are:10105123, 10066034, 3892657, 3914660, 3914678, 3932388, 3932386, 3956618, 3970000, 3970006, 3970010, 3970014, 10066033, 10066036, 10243880, 14010207, 14010209, 14010287, 14016376, 14016379, 10054727, 14088528, 14088548, 14088552, 1409338, 14101148. Stroke must match block. No 400 or larger cubic inch parts allowed. Maximum 361 cubic inches (GM)363, (Ford)370, (Chrysler). Maximum compression ratio 10 to 1. Compression ratio checked by using Whistler in cubic inches checked using pumps, or by visual inspection of parts and/or casting numbers, pistons, etc. (track option which method is used). Flat top or dish pistons only, no gas ported pistons. OEM or OEM replacement steel crankshaft only- cannot be lightened. No aerowing, bullnose, knife-edge, undercut or drilling of second or third rod throws. OEM or OEM appearing replacement steel rods only- GM 5.7inch, 6inch or GM vortec rod part number 10108688 allowed. Cap screws allowed. No splayed main caps. Conventional flat tappet cam and lifters only, cannot alter lifter bores. OEM firing cannot be changed (GM:1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2). May use oil restrictors. Wet sump oiling system only. Steel oil pans only. Racing oil pans allowed. Mandatory 1 inch inspection holes in all pans – no obstructions to crank and rods. Accumulator allowed, must be mounted under hood. Cylinder Head: Steel only. Must be unaltered approved OEM and minimum 76cc combustion chamber(GM). Only GM OEM approved head numbers are: 14079267, 3986336, 3986339, 398339X, 3986388, 3932441, 376445, 3928454, 3932454, 3876487, 3973487, 3973487X, 3973493, 3951598, 468642, 330862, 333882, 3998920, 3998991, 3998993, 3998997, 3970126. Maximum size valves on these heads are 2.02 in.intake and 1.60 inch exhaust. May use stock replacement (SR) cylinder heads: engine quest (eq) GM part number CH3501, (eq) Chrysler part number CH318B, world products ford part number 53030-1.25 inch(+/-) .015 tolerance maximum OD valve springs. All SR heads must remain as produced, seat angles and valve sizes cannot be changed: 3 angle valve job only (absolutely no casting removal in valve pocket of EQ or World Products head for no reason): Ford- no SVO heads: Chrysler – no W-2 heads, 360 cubic inch heads only. No porting, polishing, or unapproved alterations allowed to any cylinder head or intake. Guide plates, screw in shoulder studs and starter bracket (GM 0.375 inch max) and poly locks allowed. No stud girdles. Steel roller tip rocker arms allowed. GM – 1.250 inch (+/- .015 tolerance) maximum OD valve spring, no beehive valve spring allowed. Intake: Unaltered, approved OEM cast-iron, low rise, two- barrel intake. Only unaltered (no porting or polishing) after- market aluminum intakes allowed are: WEIAND GM#7547, #7547-1; Ford #7515, #8023 or #7516; Chrysler #8022; EDEL BROCK GM #2701; Ford #7121, #7181, #7183; Chrysler #2176. No cooling lines allowed. Unaltered OEM type Harmonic balancer only. OEM type steel or aluminum water pumps only.
25. No engine claims allowed.